Print This Page Print This Page

Admitted Freshmen & Transfer Students
Students who have been admitted to Rutgers University-Newark for the Fall 2018 semester should not register for Math or English courses until they have taken the placement exam, and must limit themselves to introductory level courses (100- or 200-level). Transfer students should consult with their academic department or the Office of Student Affairs.

Change of Registration
The change of registration period (drop/add) is used to make changes within that session only and must be done in person.  Please refer to the Summer Session Registration Calendar for specific dates.

Closed Courses & Special Permission Numbers
There are instances when registration in certain closed courses may be allowed.  Please contact the academic department offering the course to determine option availability.  If approval is granted by the academic department, a six-digit Special Permission Number will be issued to the student by that department.  The Special Permission Number must be entered when prompted by WebReg or provided to the Office of the Registrar if registering in person.

Course Listings
Course listings for each course offered through the Office of Summer & Winter sessions are available in the Course Catalog.  Below is a sample course, along with a description of each item found in the listing.  Meeting days and times will not be provided for online courses or other courses that meet by arrangement.  Hybrid courses may include specific meeting dates/times as provided by the department/instructor.  Please consult with the department offering the course for details.

 Description Sample Course


(3 cr.)21:355:101:B2:01116
DAY: 5/29-7/5
MTWTh 10:15-12:00 JOHNSON              CON 238

Course Title English Composition
Number of Credits (3 cr.)
School Code 21
Subject Code 355
Course Number
001-299 lower-level
300-499 upper-level
500-800 graduate
Section Number B2
Index Number 01116
Daytime or Evening Course DAY/EVE
Session Dates 5/29-7/5
Days of Class Meetings MTWTh
Class Meeting Time 10:15-12:00
Instructor Name JOHNSON
Location CONKLIN 238

Section Numbers

Session I:
Sections B1-B3 Sections B6, B7 Section B5 Graduate Social Work Only
Sections P1-P5
Sections P6-P0
Session II:
Sections H1-H3 Sections H6, H7 Section H5 Sections W1-W5

Sections W6-W0

Sections T1-T3 Sections T6, T7 Section T4
Section T5

Graduate Courses
Non-RU students registering for graduate courses must obtain the approval of the graduate director of the department offering the course before registration.

High School Students
High School students completing 9th, 10th, or 11th grade by June 2018 are eligible to attend summer session courses.  Please create an account in our Application Portal, complete a High School Student Application and submit the required documents. Summer & Winter Sessions staff will contact you through the Message Center in the Application Portal. High School students completing 12th grade by June 2018 should apply as a visiting student to RU–N Summer Session by submitting a Visiting Student Registration Form.

Non-RU Students (Visiting Students)
Non-RU students do not need to go through the Office of Admissions in order to attend Summer Session.  Beginning February 5, visiting students can submit the Registration Inquiry Form available here, https://csstudent.rutgers.edu/ to begin the process that will grant a visiting student access to RU registration services.  You will receive registration instructions after submitting the inquiry form.  Transcripts or letters of approval are not required.  All visiting students should consult with their home institution prior to registration to confirm that the credits are transferable.  Enrolling in Summer Session courses does not guarantee that you may take Fall or Spring semester courses as a non-matriculated student, nor does enrollment in Summer Session constitute admission to Rutgers University.  To apply for a degree program at Rutgers, please contact the Office of Admission, 973/353-5205.

Non-RU Students Who Attended Summer Session 2017
Non-RU students who attended Summer Session 2017 may register via Web Registration (WEBREG), beginning February 12, by entering their RUID or Social Security number and Personal Access Code (PAC) to log-in.

After registering, students should make any necessary changes to their home address or phone number for billing and grade reporting at, http://registrar.newark.rutgers.edu/.

Official Audit (Non-RU Students Only)
A Non-RU student may audit a course by entering an “N” in the “Credit Hour Prefix” column on the registration form.  The student is expected to complete all the coursework, except the final exam, and will be graded “S” or “U.”  The course and grade appear on the student’s transcript.  Students opting for audit registration must choose this option prior to the beginning of the course and may not change audit status once the course has begun.  This option is available to Non-RU students only, and those students are still required to pay the regular tuition and student fees.

Pass/No Credit (Rutgers University Student Only)
A grade of Pass (equivalent to grades of A, B+, B, C+, and C) or No Credit (equivalent to grades of D and F) is assigned to a student who has registered for his or her course on that basis.  This option is open only to juniors and seniors in good academic standing.  No more than one course may be taken on a Pass/No Credit basis during the Summer Session, and credit is not allowed for more than four courses.  This option may be used for electives only; it may not be used for courses required in the major or for courses used to satisfy the general curriculum requirements.  Non-RU students are not permitted to take courses on a P/NC (Pass/No Credit) basis.  Only Rutgers University students may take courses on a P/NC basis when such registration is in accord with the regulations of the student’s college and the faculty offering the course. Request for P/NC grading must be made at the time of registration by inserting the symbol P or NC in the “credit hour prefix” column on the registration form. This option may not be made or changed after registration is completed.

Qualified Unemployed Workers Tuition Waiver
Students that have secured a waiver from a One-Stop Career Center within the NJ Department of Labor & Workforce Development must visit the Office of Summer & Winter Sessions to initiate the certification process.  Certification is by appointment only, please email summersession@newark.rutgers.edu or call 973-353-5112 to schedule an appointment.  Students may not register if they did not complete the certification process.  Registration takes place on the first day of the session in which the tuition waiver applies to only.  All certification documents, waiver, and development plan must be presented to the Office of the Registrar, Blumenthal Hall 3rd Floor at time of registration.

Certification Period Registration
Session I:
 April 30-May 18   May 29
Session II:  June 11-28  July 9
12-week Summer:  April 30-May 18  May 29

A checklist is available here with step by step information on the Rutgers University-Newark certification and registration process.  View the full Rutgers University Tuition Waiver Policy for Qualified Unemployed Workers here.

RBHS Students
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) students interested in attending Rutgers University-Newark Summer Sessions must contact their home school Registrar for registration, payment, and financial aid information

Registering for a Course With a Prefix
If registering for a course where a prefix may be needed, you must do so in person at the Office of the Registrar.  See samples below.

Prefix-E Course does not count in average or toward a degree.
Prefix-G 300-400 level course taken by a Rutgers graduate student. Counts toward the graduate degree program.
Prefix-N Not for credit. Graded “S” or “U”. No final exam.
Prefix-P Course taken on “Pass/No Credit” basis. Available to Rutgers students only.
Prefix-R Course taken for a better grade in accordance with the academic policy of faculty. Available to Rutgers students only.

Rutgers University Students
Most continuing Rutgers University students may register online by using WEBREG or in person beginning February 12. Please refer to the Summer Session Registration Calendar, for registration dates and deadlines.

Students Seeking Readmission
Please consult the college catalog you are reapplying to for detailed information.

Withdrawing from a Course/Dropping a Course/Refund
Students must officially withdraw from a course prior to the dates specified in the Summer Session Registration Calendar in order to obtain a full refund. Do not anticipate that the university will automatically drop you from a class due to non-payment or non-attendance. You must withdraw from your classes via WEBREG or by submitting a Change of Course Form to the Office of the Registrar by the dates specified on the Summer Session Registration Calendar. All withdrawals must be done in-person once the session you have registered for begins. It is the student’s responsibility to verify that their financial account and registration schedule have been successfully updated after withdrawing. Please consult the Summer Session Registration Calendar for a partial refund and no refund withdrawal dates. Telephone withdrawals will not be accepted.


BlackBoard | E-College | myRUN | Contact Us | my.rutgers.edu | Canvas | RU-N 4 Success | Schedule Of Classes

Office Of Summer & Winter Sessions | 249 University Avenue Room 208 | Newark, NJ 07102